Jamaican Jerk Chicken with Coconut Rice and Peas
Alternatively, cook chicken on BBQ hot plate or grill for about 3 minutes each side (depending on thickness), until cooked through. Cook asparagus and courgette on BBQ hot plate for about 2 minutes, until tender.
My Classic food bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Classic food bag on Sunday, October 22, 2017.
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 250g frozen peas *
- 1 carrot, peeled
Jamaican Jerk Chicken
- 650g chicken thighs
- 2-3 tablespoons jerk marinade
- 1 courgette
- ½ bunch asparagus, woody ends trimmed *
- 1 Bring a small pot of salted water to the boil. Preheat BBQ grill or hot plate to medium-high heat (if using). Combine rice, water, coconut milk and salt in a medium pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, stir and cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 10 minutes. Do not lift lid during cooking.
- 2 While rice cooks, pat chicken dry with paper towels and cut into 2-3 pieces. Season with salt and place in a shallow bowl with jerk marinade. Toss well to coat and set aside for 5-10 minutes to marinate.
- 3 While chicken marinates, cook peas in pot of boiling water for about 1 minute, until bright green and tender. Drain well and set aside. Grate carrot; thinly slice courgette; cut asparagus spears in half widthways, then in half again lengthways. Set all aside separately.
- 4 Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large fry-pan on medium-high heat. Cook chicken for 2-3 minutes each side (depending on thickness), until caramelised and cooked through. Set aside, covered in foil, for about 5 minutes. Wipe out pan and return to medium heat with a drizzle of oil.
- 5 Cook courgette and asparagus for about 2 minutes, until bright green and tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Once rice has finished steaming, fold through peas and carrot.
- 6 To serve, scoop coconut rice into bowls and top with greens and Jamaican jerk chicken.
- SERVES 4-5
- Energy: 2869 kj / 686 kcal
- Protein: 32.0g
- Carbohydrate: 72.4g
- Fat: 29.5g
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe