Mexican Black Bean Cos Cups with Lime Avocado Smash
If you find cos cups too messy, simply shred lettuce and build a Mexican bowl!
My Veggie Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Veggie Food Bag on Sunday, October 22, 2017.
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1½ cups water
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped coriander leave and stalks *
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves and stalks *
Mexican Black Beans
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Mexican spice mix
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tomatoes, diced 2cm
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 capsicum, core and seeds removed and diced 1cm
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup vegetable stock
Lime Avocado Smash
- 1 avocado
- Juice of ½ lime
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 cos lettuce
- 1-2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- ½ lime, cut into wedges
- 1 Combine rice, water, lime zest, garlic and salt in a small pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 12 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 8 minutes. Do not lift lid during cooking.
- 2 While rice cooks, heat a drizzle of oil in a medium frypan on medium-high heat. Cook shallot for about 2 minutes, until softened. Add garlic and Mexican spice mix and cook a further 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- 3 Add tomato paste, tomatoes, salt and capsicum to pan and cook for about 3 minutes, until tomato breaks down. Reduce heat to medium, add beans and stock, and simmer for 6-7 minutes, until thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 4 While beans cook, cut avocado in half lengthways and twist halves to separate. Remove stone using a spoon and scoop out flesh. Place in a small bowl with lime juice and mayonnaise and smash with a fork. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 5 Once rice has finished steaming, fluff up grains with a fork and mix through coriander and parsley. Separate cos lettuce leaves and rinse.
- 6 To serve, fill cos lettuce leaves with herbed rice and Mexican black beans. Dollop with lime avocado smash and sprinkle over spring onions. Serve with a lime wedge to squeeze over just before eating.
- SERVES 2-3
- Energy: 2139 kj / 511 kcal
- Protein: 15.3g
- Carbohydrate: 65.3g
- Fat: 19.6g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe