with Greek Freekeh Salad
Fresh Start Lite 10
This dish most recently appeared in Fresh Start Lite 10 on Sunday, October 22, 2017.
- 60g freekeh
- 1 tomato
- ½ Lebanese cucumber *
- ½ bag baby spinach leaves *
- 25g feta cheese *
- 1-2 tablespoons very thinly sliced red onion *
- 275g chicken breast steaks
- ½ teaspoon oil, for cooking (or use spray oil)
- ½-1 teaspoon mustard (e.g. Dijon, wholegrain)
- 2 teaspoons pistachio nut spice mix
- 1½ teaspoons vinegar (e.g. red wine, white wine, cider)
- ½ teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon mustard (e.g. Dijon, wholegrain)
- Pinch of chilli flakes/powder or cayenne powder (optional)
- ½ pottle natural yoghurt *
- ½ teaspoon sumac
- 25g feta cheese *
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint leaves *
- 1 Preheat oven to 220°C. Bring a small pot of salted water to the boil. Line an oven tray (with a lip) with baking paper. Cook freekeh in pot of boiling water for about 15 minutes, until tender with a slight bite. Drain well, rinse under cold water and leave to drain well.
- 2 While freekeh is cooking, heat oil in a medium frypan on high heat. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- 3 Add chicken to pan and cook for about 1 minute each side, until just starting to brown (but not cooked through). Place on prepared tray. Brush one side of chicken lightly with mustard and sprinkle over 1 teaspoon pistachio nut spice mix per chicken steak, pressing down firmly with fingers to adhere. Bake for 5-7 minutes, until chicken is just cooked through. Remove from oven to rest, covered, for a few minutes. Slice thickly, reserving any resting juices.
- 4 While chicken cooks, prepare the rest of the salad. In a medium bowl, whisk together all vinaigrette ingredients. Dice tomato and cucumber 1cm; roughly chop spinach; roughly dice first measure of feta. Add all, along with sliced onion to bowl with vinaigrette.
- 5 In small bowl, mix yoghurt and sumac together. Set aside.
- 6 Add cooked, drained freekeh to bowl with salad ingredients. Toss well and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- TO SERVE divide Greek freekeh salad between plates, along with sliced pistachio-crusted chicken and any resting juices (if desired). Dollop over sumac yoghurt, crumble over remaining feta and garnish with mint.
- SERVES 2
- Energy: 1676 kj / 401 kcal
- Protein: 43.1g
- Carbohydrate: 26.6g
- Fat: 13.2g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe