BBQ Beef with Hasselback Potatoes and Piccalilli Aioli
If using BBQ grill to cook beef, cook for about 2 minutes each side for medium-rare. For an easy way to make sure you cut your potatoes to the right depth, use 2 wooden spoons as a guide.
My Gluten-Free Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Gluten-Free Food Bag on Sunday, November 26, 2017.
- 600g potatoes
- 1 teaspoon hasselback spice mix
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ tablespoons melted butter
- 1½ teaspoons hasselback spice mix spice
- ½ teaspoon chicken stock powder
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes
- ½ telegraph cucumber *
- ½ iceberg lettuce *
- ½ bag baby spinach *
- ½ teaspoon GF cider vinegar
- 550g beef pave steaks (at room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons piccalilli
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 Preheat oven to 210°C. Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil with 1 teaspoon hasselback spice mix. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Preheat BBQ hot plate/grill to high (if using). Wash and scrub potatoes, if required. Parboil in boiling water with 1 teaspoon hassleback spice mix for 10-12 minutes (they should still be firm in the middle, use a sharp knife to test).
- 2 While potatoes boil, prepare the salad. Dice tomatoes 1cm; thinly slice cucumber on an angle; roughly shred lettuce. Toss all in a large bowl, along with baby spinach, a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and vinegar. Season to taste.
- 3 Mix oil, melted butter, second measure of hassleback spice mix, chicken stock powder and garlic together in a small bowl. Drain potatoes and run under cold water for 2-3 minutes until cool enough to handle.
- 4 Make 8–10 small slices on the top of the potatoes, about ¾ of the way through, do not cut all the way to the bottom. Place onto prepared tray and drizzle with melted butter mix. Bake for about 25 minutes until tops are crispy and golden. Pat beef dry with paper towels and season.
- 5 Heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry-pan on mediumhigh heat. cook beef for 2 minutes each side, for medium or cooked to your liking. Cover and rest for 5 minutes, before slicing thinly against the grain. In a small bowl, combine piccalilli and mayonnaise and mix well.
- 6 To serve, place 1–2 hasselback potatoes onto each plate with some slices of beef and salad. Serve piccalilli aioli on the side.
- SERVES 4-5
- Energy: 2456 kj / 587 kcal
- Protein: 30.0g
- Carbohydrate: 49.4g
- Fat: 30.0g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe