Cajun-Style Blackened Salmon with Turmeric and Mango Coconut Yoghurt
Alternatively, cook salmon on BBQ grill. Cook, skin-side-down for about 3 minutes until skin is crispy. Flip and cook for a further 2 minutes for medium-rare, or until cooked to your liking.
My Gourmet Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Gourmet Food Bag on Sunday, December 17, 2017.
Green Rice Salad
- ¾ cup basmati rice
- ½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 4 spring onions
- 100g green beans *
- 1 green capsicum
- Zest and juice of ½ lime
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
Cajun-Style Blackened Salmon
- 300g salmon fillet
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 2-3 tablespoons turmeric and mango coconut yoghurt
- 1 entire section freshly snipped aphelia
- ½ lime, cut into wedges
- 1 Preheat BBQ grill or hot plate to medium-high if using. Heat a drizzle of oil in a small pot on medium heat. Add rice and first measure of Cajun seasoning and cook for about 30 seconds until fragrant. Add water and a pinch of salt and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 12 minutes.
- 2 Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 8 minutes. Do not lift lid during cooking. While rice cooks, thinly slice spring onions and beans. Finely dice capsicum and set all aside together in a medium bowl.
- 3 Pat salmon dry with paper towels and remove any remaining pin bones. Cut into 2-3 pieces. Drizzle with a little oil and sprinkle over second measure of Cajun seasoning and rub into flesh. Heat a drizzle of oil in a medium fry-pan on medium heat.
- 4 Cook salmon, skin-side-down, for about 3 minutes, until skin is crispy. Flip and cook for 1-2 minutes on each fleshy side for medium-rare, or until cooked to your liking. Set aside to rest.
- 5 When rice has cooked, fluff up grains with a fork and tip into bowl with spring onions, beans, capsicum and add lime zest and juice and vinegar. Toss lightly with a drizzle of oil and season to taste.
- 6 To serve, divide turmeric mango yoghurt and spread onto plates. Top with green rice salad and Cajun-style blackened salmon. Sprinkle over freshly snipped aphelia and squeeze over lime wedge.
- SERVES 2-3
- Energy: 2395 kj / 572 kcal
- Protein: 28.5g
- Carbohydrate: 49.4g
- Fat: 28.6g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe