Vietnamese Turkey Laab Super Grain Lettuce Cups
Lettuce cups are fun! But if you’d prefer, chop the lettuce and serve on a plate, with all remaining toppings as a salad.
My Own Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Own Food Bag on Sunday, December 17, 2017.
Super Grain Salad
- ¼ cup super grain mix
- ½ Lebanese cucumber *
- ½ carrot *
- ¼ red onion, finely diced *
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice *
- ½ teaspoon finely grated ginger
Vietnamese Turkey Laab
- 150g turkey mince
- 1 pottle of lemongrass makrut lime paste
- Pinch chilli powder or cayenne powder (optional)
- ½ cos lettuce, leaves separated *
- 1 tablespoon chopped, roasted peanuts
- ½ sachet habanero hot sauce
- 1 Bring a small pot of salted water to the boil. Cook super-grain mix in pot of boiling water for about 15 minutes, until grains are tender with a slight bite. Drain, rinse under warm water and leave to drain well. While super grains are cooking, prepare the rest of the meal.
- 2 Mix all vinaigrette ingredients together in a small bowl.
- 3 Cut cucumber in half lengthways, scoop out seeds then thinly slice and grate carrot. Place all in bowl with vinaigrette, along with diced onion. When grains have 8 minutes cook time remaining, heat oil in a medium fry-pan on high heat.
- 4 Cook turkey mince, lemongrass makrut lime paste, a pinch of salt and chilli/cayenne (if using) for 3-4 minutes, using a wooden spoon to break up chicken as it cooks, until cooked through and any liquid has evaporated.
- 5 Add cooked and drained grains to bowl with vinaigrette and vegetables and toss to combine. Season to taste.
- 6 To serve, place lettuce leaves onto a plate. Fill each leaf with super grain salad and Vietnamese turkey laab. Top with peanuts and a little habanero hot sauce.
- SERVES 1
- Energy: 1915 kj / 458 kcal
- Protein: 41.2g
- Carbohydrate: 20.8g
- Fat: 23.5g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe