Middle Eastern Carrot Fritters with Whipped Feta and Apple Salad
Cook fritters on a lower heat if they brown too quickly and this will also ensure the centre is cooked through. Alternatively, cook on BBQ hot plate, for same time as above.
My Veggie Food Bag
This dish will appear in My Veggie Food Bag on Sunday, December 17, 2017.
- 100g feta cheese
- 6 tablespoons hot water
Moroccan Carrot Fritters
- ½ brown onion, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons carrot fritter spice mix
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 carrots, grated until you have about 2 cups worth
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 50g feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ capsicum, finely diced
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves and stalks *
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ¼ teaspoon honey
- 100g baby spinach, thinly sliced *
- ½ capsicum, thinly sliced
- 2-3 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 apple, cut into thin matchsticks or grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint *
- ½ lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 Preheat oven to 160°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Prepare your vegetables. Preheat BBQ hot plate to medium (if using). In a small bowl, crumble in first measure of feta and whisk with water until smooth. Set aside. Heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry-pan on medium heat and cook onion until soft, 2–3 minutes. Add carrot fritter spice mix and cook a further 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 2 Whisk eggs in a large bowl. Add flour, baking powder and salt and whisk until smooth. Add milk and continue whisking until smooth. Add all remaining Moroccan carrot fritter ingredients, along with cooked onion mixture. Season with black pepper and mix well.
- 3 Wipe fry-pan clean with a paper towel. Heat a drizzle of oil in a fry-pan on medium heat. Use a tablespoon to scoop out fritter mix and dollop into pan (use 2 tablespoons of mixture for each fritter), gently press mixture with back of spoon to help it spread out a little.
- 4 Cook fritters, in batches, about 3 minutes on first side until bubbles appear on the surface, turn over and cook a further 2–3 minutes until golden and cooked through. Place cooked fritters onto prepared tray to keep warm in the oven while you cook the remaining fritters.
- 5 In a large bowl, mix oil, lemon juice and honey together. Add remaining apple salad ingredients to bowl, toss to combine and season.
- 6 To serve, divide Moroccan carrot fritters between plates and top with a handful of apple salad. Drizzle over whipped feta. Squeeze lemon juice over fritters just before serving.
- SERVES 2-3
- Energy: 1939 kj / 463 kcal
- Protein: 23.5g
- Carbohydrate: 35.2g
- Fat: 24.6g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe