Teriyaki Chicken Bowl with Japanese Mayo
Alternatively, cook chicken thighs on BBQ hot plate for 4-5 minutes each side, until cooked through. Heat teriyaki sauce in a small pot or in microwave and drizzle over to serve.
My Gluten-Free Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Gluten-Free Food Bag on Sunday, January 21, 2018.
Black Sesame Rice
- 1½ cups jasmine rice
- 2¼ cups water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- ¼ cup GF soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons GF rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon GF cornflour
- 550g chicken thighs
- 1 carrot
- 1 avocado
- ½ telegraph cucumber *
- 1 cup frozen peas *
- 100g GF Japanese mayo (optional)
- 1 Bring a small pot of water to the boil. Preheat BBQ hot plate to medium (if using). Combine rice, water and a pinch of salt in a medium pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 12 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 8 minutes. Do not lift lid during cooking.
- 2 In a small bowl, combine all teriyaki chicken ingredients (except chicken) and set aside. Peel carrot into ribbons and toss in a bowl with a drizzle of olive oil. Thinly slice avocado and cut cucumber into 1cm x 5cm sticks. Set all aside.
- 3 Pat chicken dry with paper towels and heat a drizzle of oil in large fry-pan on medium-high heat. Cook chicken for 2-3 minutes each side, until golden and almost cooked through. Set aside.
- 4 Drain excess fat from pan, return chicken to pan and teriyaki sauce. Reduce heat to low and simmer, turning chicken often, for about 4 minutes (depending on thickness), until chicken is cooked through and well coated. Add a little water if sauce gets too dry. Set aside to rest.
- 5 When chicken has about 1 minute cook time remaining, cook peas in pot of boiling water for about 1 minute, until bright green and tender. Drain and season with salt. Fluff up rice with a fork and fold through sesame oil and sesame seeds. Slice chicken thickly.
- 6 To serve, spoon ¾ cup cooked black sesame rice per person into bowls. Top with slices of teriyaki chicken and place carrot ribbons, avocado, cucumber sticks and peas around the outside. Drizzle over any teriyaki sauce from the pan and some Japanese mayo (if using).
- SERVES 4-5
- Energy: 2644 kj / 632 kcal
- Protein: 28.1g
- Carbohydrate: 48.1g
- Fat: 36.4g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe