Mexican Pulled Lamb with Rice and Chimichurri Salad
Our friends at Magills have spent 12 hours slow cooking this lamb to bring all the flavour and convenience of tender pulledstyle meat to your door. We’ve combined it with a veritable fiesta of flavour with these Mexican-inspired combinations.
My Own Food Bag
This dish most recently appeared in My Own Food Bag on Sunday, January 21, 2018.
- ½ cup jasmine rice
- ¾ cup water
- 1 teaspoon Mexican spice mix
Mexican Pulled Lamb
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Mexican spice mix
- 2 tablespoons water
- 200g pulled lamb
- ½ can mild chilli beans
- 1 tomato, diced 1cm
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ clove garlic, minced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon finely diced red onion
- 1½ tablespoons finely chopped coriander leaves and stalks *
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (white wine, red wine, apple cider)
- ½ Lebanese cucumber, diced 1cm *
- 1½ roma tomatoes diced 1cm *
- ½-1 sachet chipotle sauce (optional)
- ¼ cup yoghurt
- 30g spiced pepitas
- 1 Combine rice, water, first measure of Mexican spice mix and a pinch of salt in a small pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 12 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further Our friends at 8 minutes. Do not lift lid during cooking.
- 2 While rice cooks; heat a drizzle of oil in a fry-pan on medium heat and cook onion for 1 minute. Add first measure of garlic and second measure of Mexican spice mix, cook for about 1 minute until fragrant. Add water and simmer until evaporated.
- 3 Add pulled lamb and chilli beans to pan and cook for about 2 minutes, breaking up lamb with a wooden spoon, until heated through. Add tomato and salt and stir to combine.
- 4 While Mexican pulled lamb cooks, make salad. Place garlic (if using), onion and coriander in a medium bowl with vinegar and a drizzle of olive oil and whisk until combined. Add cucumber and second measure of tomato to bowl and toss to combine. Season.
- 5 In a small bowl, combine chipotle sauce (if using) and yoghurt.
- 6 To serve, divide rice between plates spoon over Mexican pulled lamb and top with Chimichurri salad. Serve with a dollop of chipotle yoghurt on the side and sprinkle over spiced petitas.
- SERVES 2
- Energy: 1927 kj / 461 kcal
- Protein: 31.5g
- Carbohydrate: 63.6g
- Fat: 9.0g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe