Za'Atar Rubbed Lamb
With Farro Salad and Harissa Yoghurt
Fresh Start Lite 20
This dish most recently appeared in Fresh Start Lite 20 on Sunday, March 4, 2018.
ZA’ATAR RUBBED LAMB
- 550g lean lamb rump steaks (at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon oil, for cooking (or use spray oil)
- 1 tablespoon za’atar spice mix
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 150g freekeh
- 2 teaspoons mustard (e.g. Dijon, wholegrain)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 carrots
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes
- 1 baby cos lettuce
- 1-2 teaspoons harissa spice mix (depending on heat preference)
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 150g yoghurt
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 2-3 tablespoons mint leaves *
- ½ lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 Bring a medium pot of salted water to the boil. Preheat BBQ grill or hot plate to medium-high (if using). Prepare ingredients. Pat lamb dry. Add to a medium bowl with all remaining za’atar rubbed lamb ingredients and toss to coat lamb well. Set aside to marinate.
- 2 Cook freekeh in pot of boiling water for 14-15 minutes, until tender with a slight bite. Drain well.
- 3 Whisk mustard, oil, vinegar and salt together in a large bowl. Peel carrots into ribbons and thinly slice cores; cut tomatoes in half; tear lettuce into bite-sized pieces. Place all in bowl with vinaigrette.
- 4 Heat a large, dry fry-pan on medium-high heat. Cook lamb for about 3 minutes each side for medium (depending on thickness), or until cooked to your liking. Alternatively, cook on BBQ. Set aside, covered, to rest for 2–3 minutes then slice thinly, reserving any resting juices.
- 5 While lamb is resting, combine harissa spice mix and hot water in a small bowl and let sit for 5 minutes. Add yoghurt and honey and mix until smooth. Chop mint leaves.
- 6 Add cooked and drained freekeh to bowl with salad ingredients. Add lamb and any resting juices (if desired) to salad, gently toss to combine and season.
- 7 TO SERVE spoon za’atar rubbed lamb with freekeh salad onto plates. Dollop over harissa yoghurt and garnish with mint and a lemon wedge for squeezing.
- SERVES 4
- Energy: 1695 kj / 405 kcal
- Protein: 39.8g
- Carbohydrate: 33.4g
- Fat: 11.5g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe