Vietnamese Chicken Laab Super Grain Lettuce Cups
With lemongrass, capsicum and sprouts
Fresh Start Lite 20
This dish most recently appeared in Fresh Start Lite 20 on Sunday, March 11, 2018.
SUPER GRAIN SALAD
- 150g super grain mix
- 1 capsicum
- ½ telegraph cucumber *
- 1 carrot
- ¼ red onion *
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger *
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil (optional)
VIETNAMESE CHICKEN LAAB
- ½ teaspoon oil, for cooking (or use spray oil)
- 550g lean ground chicken breast
- 80g lemongrass makrut lime paste
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of chilli flakes, chilli powder or cayenne powder (optional)
- 3 tablespoons chopped coriander *
- 2/3 cos lettuce, leaves separated and cut in half *
- 100g mung bean sprouts
- 3 tablespoons chopped mint *
- 2 tablespoons chopped peanuts (optional)
- ½ lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 Bring a small pot of salted water to the boil. Cook super grain mix in pot of boiling water for about 15 minutes, until grains are tender with a slight bite. Drain, rinse under warm water and leave to drain well.
- 2 While super grains are cooking, mix all vinaigrette ingredients together in a large bowl.
- 3 Dice capsicum 1cm; cut cucumber in half lengthways then thinly slice; grate carrot; finely dice onion. Place all in bowl with vinaigrette.
- 4 When grains have 10 minutes cook time remaining, heat oil in a large fry-pan on high heat.
- 5 Cook ground chicken, lemongrass makrut lime paste, salt and chilli (if using) for about 5 minutes, breaking up chicken as it cooks, until cooked through and any liquid has evaporated.
- 6 Remove chicken from heat and stir through coriander. Set aside.
- 7 Add drained super grains to bowl with vinaigrette and vegetables and toss to combine. Season to taste.
- 8 TO SERVE divide lettuce leaves between plates. Fill each leaf with super grain salad and Vietnamese chicken laab. Top with mung bean sprouts, mint and peanuts (if using). Squeeze over lemon wedges just before eating.
- SERVES 4
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe