Spicy Lamb Bake
With cheesy butternut topping
Fresh Start Lite 20
This dish most recently appeared in Fresh Start Lite 20 on Sunday, March 11, 2018.
CHEESY BUTTERNUT TOPPING
- 1 butternut pumpkin, sliced 0.5cm and seeds removed
- 1 teaspoon oil, for cooking (or use spray oil)
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon spicy lamb mix
- 250g lite cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
SPICY LAMB BAKE
- 2 teaspoons oil, for cooking (or use spray oil)
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 500g lean ground lamb
- 1½ tablespoons spicy lamb mix
- Pinch of chilli flakes or powder (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2½ teaspoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 250g frozen peas *
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/3 cos lettuce *
- 1 tomato
- 1 carrot
- ½ telegraph cucumber *
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped *
- 1 Preheat oven to 220°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Set aside a baking dish (measuring about 20 x 20cm). Prepare ingredients. Arrange pumpkin on prepared tray, brush with oil, sprinkle over garlic and spicy lamb spice and season. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until just cooked but still firm. Remove from oven. Switch oven to high grill.
- 2 Heat oil in a large fry-pan on medium-high heat. Cook onion with a pinch of salt for 2-3 minutes, until soft. Increase heat to high, add lamb and cook for 4-5 minutes, breaking up as it cooks.
- 3 Add spicy lamb mix, chilli (if using) and garlic to lamb and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- 4 Add carrot, tomatoes, soy sauce and salt. Cook on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for 2-4 minutes, until liquid is absorbed.
- 5 Stir through honey, balsamic vinegar and peas and cook for 1-2 minutes. Season to taste.
- 6 While lamb cooks, whisk together cottage cheese, egg and salt in a bowl.
- 7 Place half the lamb in the baking dish and half the pumpkin on top. Repeat with remaining lamb and pumpkin. Top with cottage cheese mix.
- 8 Grill (on middle-upper oven rack) for 5-7 minutes, or until golden.
- 9 Whisk together oil, honey, mustard and vinegar in a bowl. Tear lettuce into bite-sized pieces; cut tomato into small wedges; peel carrot and cucumber into ribbons and thinly slice cores. Add all to bowl and toss to combine. Season.
- 10 TO SERVE divide spicy lamb bake between plates. Serve salad on the side and sprinkle over parsley.
- SERVES 4
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe