Sumac Pork Sirloin Steaks
With jewelled apple rice salad
Fresh Start Lite 20
This dish most recently appeared in Fresh Start Lite 20 on Sunday, March 18, 2018.
JEWELLED APPLE RICE SALAD
- 150g brown rice
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Juice of ½ lemon (zest first)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ bag radishes *
- ½ telegraph cucumber *
- 2 apples
- 1 capsicum
- ¼-½ red onion *
- ½ cabbage
SUMAC PORK SIRLOIN STEAKS
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 550g lean pork sirloin (at room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon sumac spice mix
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 150g yoghurt
- 80g mango sauce
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves, thinly sliced
- Zest and juice of ½ lemon
- 1 Bring a medium pot of salted water to the boil. Preheat BBQ grill or hot plate to medium-high (if using).
- 2 Cook rice in pot of boiling water for about 15 minutes, until tender. Drain, rinse under cold water and leave to drain well.
- 3 While rice cooks, prepare salad. In a large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, honey, lemon juice and salt.
- 4 Cut radishes in half and thinly slice; cut cucumber in half lengthways and thinly slice; dice apples and capsicum 1cm; very thinly slice onion; finely shred cabbage until you have 3 cups worth. Add all to bowl with dressing and set aside.
- 5 Heat oil in a large fry-pan on medium-high heat. Pat pork dry and rub with sumac spice mix and garlic. Season and cook pork for 3-4 minutes each side (depending on thickness), or until cooked to your liking. Alternatively, cook on BBQ. Set aside, covered, to rest before slicing thinly against the grain, reserving any resting juices.
- 6 In a small bowl, mix together all mango yoghurt ingredients. Season to taste with salt. Add one third to bowl with salad and reserve remaining for serving.
- 7 Once rice has cooked and drained, add to bowl with salad. Toss well to combine and season to taste.
- 8 To serve, divide jewelled apple rice salad between plates. Top with sumac pork sirloin steaks and drizzle over resting juices (if desired) and remaining mango yoghurt.
- SERVES 4
- Energy: 1685 kj / 403 kcal
- Protein: 36.0g
- Carbohydrate: 45.4g
- Fat: 7.6g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe