Crumbed Beef Schnitzel with Kumara Rosti
Alternatively cook beef on BBQ hot plate. Heat a drizzle of oil on hot plate and cook for 1-2 minutes each side until golden. Add more oil as needed.
My Family Food Bag
This dish will appear in My Family Food Bag on Sunday, March 25, 2018.
- 400g kumara, grated
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 cup frozen peas* *
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup cornflour
- ½ teaspoon salt
Tomato and Cucumber
- 1 tomato
- 1 Lebanese cucumber
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon mustard (e.g. Dijon, wholegrain)
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 450g beef schnitzel (at room temperature)
- 1/3 cup flour, seasoned with ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, whisked with 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ -1 cup fine breadcrumbs
- Tomato sauce or relish (optional)
- ½ lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 Preheat oven to 220°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Preheat BBQ hot plate to medium (if using). Prepare vegetables. Place all kumara rosti ingredients in a large bowl. Season with pepper and mix until well combined. Place mixture onto prepared tray and spread out until about 1cm thick. Cook in oven for about 25 minutes, until golden and veggies are cooked.
- 2 Dice tomato and cucumber 1cm. Place in a medium bowl and season to taste. Set aside.
- 3 Combine all lemon mayo ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- 4 While rosti cooks, pat beef dry and season with salt. Place seasoned flour, egg mixture and breadcrumbs in separate bowls or plates. Coat each piece of beef, first in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs, shaking off excess as you go. Set aside.
- 5 Heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry-pan on mediumhigh heat. Cook beef, in two batches, for 1-2 minutes each side until golden brown.
- 6 To serve, divide kumara rosti, crumbed beef schnitzel and tomato and cucumber between plates, dollop over lemon mayo and tomato sauce (if using), and squeeze over lemon.
- SERVES 4-5
- Energy: 2098 kj / 501 kcal
- Protein: 33.6g
- Carbohydrate: 42.5g
- Fat: 21.0g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe