Autumn Chicken Escabeche with Roasted Carrot and Parsnip
For an extra flavourful dish, carefully return cooking liquid to pan and reduce on a high heat for 2-3 minutes, until thickened.
My Express Food Bag
This dish will appear in My Express Food Bag on Sunday, March 25, 2018.
Roasted Carrot and Parsnip
- 1 pack carrot and parsnip batons
- 1 red onion, cut into 1cm wedges
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
- 1/3 bag baby spinach *
Autumn Chicken Escabeche
- 1 pack chicken breasts
- 1/3 pottle onion and garlic paste
- 2 teaspoons Escabeche spice mix
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cornflour + 1 tablespoon water
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 apple, cut into 1cm wedges
- 1 punnet grapes
- 1 Preheat oven to 230°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Prepare red onion and apple. Toss carrot and parsnips, onion, honey and chilli flakes (if using) on prepared tray with a drizzle of oil and season. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and tender. Once cooked, toss through spinach to wilt slightly.
- 2 While veggies cook, pat chicken dry and season with salt. Heat a drizzle of oil in a medium, oven-proof, frypan on medium-high heat. Cook chicken for about 1 minute each side, until golden but not cooked through (chicken will finish cooking in the oven). Remove from pan and set aside.
- 3 Return pan to medium heat with a drizzle of oil. Cook onion and garlic paste with Escabeche spice mix for about 2 minutes, until starting to colour. Carefully add wine, stock and vinegar, and whisk in cornflour mixture. Stir to combine.
- 4 Return chicken and any resting juices to pan, along with thyme, apple and grapes. Bake for about 10 minutes (depending on thickness), until chicken is cooked through. Set aside, covered, to rest for 2-3 minutes before slicing thickly.
- 5 To serve, divide roasted carrot and parsnip between plates and top with autumn chicken escabeche.
- SERVES 4
- Energy: 1854 kj / 443 kcal
- Protein: 35.1g
- Carbohydrate: 24.9g
- Fat: 19.4g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe