Balinese Chicken with Turmeric Rice and Tamarind Sauce
If you don’t have time to cut your cucumber into matchsticks, use a peeler to peel into long ribbons.
My Gourmet Food Bag
This dish will appear in My Gourmet Food Bag on Sunday, March 25, 2018.
- ½ brown onion, finely diced *
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 200g jasmine rice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups water
- 300g chicken breasts
- 1½ teaspoons Balinese salt
- 1 baby bok choy
- 1 Lebanese cucumber
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice *
- ½ tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- ½ tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
- ½ tablespoon fish sauce
- 100g mung bean sprouts
- 50g tamarind sauce
- 20g-40g chopped, roasted peanuts
- 1 Heat a drizzle of oil in a small pot on medium heat. Cook onion and turmeric for 2-3 minutes until tender. Add rice and salt and mix to coat in oil. Add water and bring to the boil on a high heat. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 12 minutes.
- 2 Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 8 minutes. Do not lift lid during cooking. When cooked, fluff up grains of rice with a fork. While rice is cooking, thinly slice baby bok choy and cut cucumber into matchsticks. Set aside.
- 3 Pat chicken dry and cut into steaks. To do this, place your hand flat on top of chicken and use a knife to slice through horizontally. Place on a plate, drizzle with oil and sprinkle over Balinese salt.
- 4 Heat a drizzle of oil in a medium fry-pan on medium heat. Cook chicken for 2-3 minutes each side (depending on thickness), or until cooked through. Set aside to rest, covered, for 3-4 minutes before slicing thinly against the grain.
- 5 While chicken is resting, combine lemon juice, vinegar, sweet chilli sauce and fish sauce in a large bowl. Add remaining Balinese salad ingredients and toss well. Season and set aside.
- 6 To serve, divide turmeric rice between plates, top with Balinese chicken and drizzle over tamarind sauce. Serve Balinese salad on the side and sprinkle with peanuts.
- SERVES 2-3
- Energy: 2066 kj / 494 kcal
- Protein: 36.2g
- Carbohydrate: 57.1g
- Fat: 15.2g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe