Huli Huli Glazed Tofu with Jasmine Rice and Salsa
If the tofu is beginning to stick, add more oil to the pan during cooking.
My Veggie Food Bag
This dish will appear in My Veggie Food Bag on Sunday, March 25, 2018.
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1½ cups water
- ½ capsicum
- ½ telegraph cucumber *
- ½ bag rocket *
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint leaves *
- 2 teaspoons vinegar (e.g. red wine, rice wine)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Huli Huli Glazed Tofu
- 275g tofu
- ¼ cup cornflour
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 can pineapple pieces, roughly chopped (reserve juice)
- 2 tablespoons reserved pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- ½ capsicum, diced 1cm
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 Combine rice, water and a pinch of salt in a pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 12 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 8 minutes. Do not lift lid during cooking.
- 2 While rice cooks, dice capsicum and cucumber 1cm, finely chop rocket and toss with mint, vinegar and olive oil in a shallow bowl. Season to taste and set aside.
- 3 Pat tofu dry and dice 1.5cm, place in a medium bowl and toss in cornflour and season.
- 4 Heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry-pan on mediumhigh heat and cook tofu for about 6 minutes, turning occasionally, until browned. While tofu cooks, combine remaining glazed tofu ingredients in a small bowl.
- 5 Once tofu has browned, pour glaze mixture into pan on medium heat. Cook for about 2 minutes, until glaze has thickened but is still saucy. Season to taste.
- 6 To serve, place ¾ cup jasmine rice in each bowl and top with Huli Huli glazed tofu. Scatter with salsa.
- SERVES 2-3
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe