Pork and Black Bean Sauce
With jewelled rice
Fresh Start Lite 20
This dish most recently appeared in Fresh Start Lite 20 on Sunday, April 1, 2018.
- 150g brown basmati rice
- 250g frozen peas *
- ½-1 pak choy
- 1 carrot
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
PORK AND BLACK BEAN SAUCE
- 3 teaspoons oil
- 550g lean pork stir-fry
- ¼-½ red onion, thinly sliced *
- 1 capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 150g Chinese stir-fry sauce
- 1 packet Chinese black beans, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup water
- 2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 Bring a medium pot of salted water to the boil. Prepare pork and black bean sauce ingredients.
- 2 Cook rice in pot of boiling water for about 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, add peas and cook a further 1-2 minutes, until peas are bright green and rice is tender. Drain, rinse under cold water and leave to drain well.
- 3 Thinly slice pak choy and grate carrot. Add to a large bowl along with vinegar. Once rice is cooked and drained, add to bowl with veggies. Toss well to combine and season.
- 4 Heat a large, dry fry-pan on medium heat. Toast sesame seeds for 1-2 minutes, until golden. Remove from pan and set aside. Reserve pan.
- 5 Heat 2 teaspoons oil in reserved pan on high heat. Pat pork dry and stir-fry for about 2 minutes, until lightly golden. Remove from pan and set aside.
- 6 Reduce heat in pan to medium, add remaining oil to pan and stir-fry onion and capsicum for 1-2 minutes, until starting to soften. Add ginger and garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- 7 Add all remaining black bean sauce ingredients to pan, along with pork. Stir to combine and heat through for about 2 minutes, until sauce thickens slightly. Season to taste (if needed).
- 8 To serve, spoon jewelled rice onto plates. Top with pork and black bean sauce. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds.
- SERVES 4
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe