Chive & Mustard Chicken with Roast Vegetables & Bulgur Salad
Thinly slice your chives as small as you can, using a sharp knife will make this much easier.
Fresh Start Lite 20
This dish most recently appeared in Fresh Start Lite 20 on Sunday, April 8, 2018.
- 1 brown onion, diced 2cm
- 1 beetroot, diced 2cm
- 2 carrots, diced 2cm
- 200g white button mushrooms, quartered *
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 150g bulgur wheat
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- ¾ teaspoon honey
- 1 courgette
- ½ bag baby spinach *
CHIVE AND MUSTARD CHICKEN
- 550g lean chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 125g lite sour cream
- 1 Preheat oven to 220ºC. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Bring a full kettle to the boil. Prepare roast vegetables.
- 2 Toss onion, beetroot, carrots and mushrooms on prepared tray with oil and season. Roast for 20-23 minutes, until tender and lightly golden.
- 3 Add bulgur and a pinch of salt to a large, heatproof, bowl and cover with boiling water. Cover and leave to soak for 15-18 minutes, until grains are tender. Drain well through a sieve and reserve bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard and honey. Grate courgette, roughly chop spinach and set aside.
- 4 Pat chicken dry and cut into steaks. To do this, place your hand flat on top of chicken breast and use a knife to slice through horizontally to make two 1.5cm thick steaks. Heat oil in a large frypan on medium-high heat. Season chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes each side (depending on thickness), or until cooked through.
- 5 Add garlic, chives, mustard and stock to pan. Cook for about 2 minutes, turning chicken often, until liquid has reduced slightly. Remove chicken from pan (leaving the sauce) and set chicken aside to rest. Reduce stock by half then remove pan from heat and stir through sour cream. Lightly season to taste.
- 6 Toss bulgur in reserved bowl with all remaining bulgur salad ingredients, including dressing. Season to taste. Slice chicken thickly and toss back through any resting juices.
- 7 To serve, share bulgur salad between plates. Top with roast vegetables and spoon over chive and mustard chicken with sauce.
- SERVES 4
- Energy: 1702 kj / 407 kcal
- Protein: 38.7g
- Carbohydrate: 32.1g
- Fat: 11.6g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe