Italian Pork with Mushroom Tomato Sauce & Courgetti
Don’t overcook your pork steaks. Pork is best cooked to a ‘medium’ blush pink on the inside. Pork will continue to cook a little when resting.
Fresh Start Lite 20
This dish most recently appeared in Fresh Start Lite 20 on Sunday, April 8, 2018.
MUSHROOM TOMATO SAUCE
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 200g white button mushrooms, sliced *
- 1 teaspoon Italian spice mix
- 1½ tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 broccoli
- 1 courgette
- 2 carrots
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 550g lean pork sirloin steaks (at room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon Italian spice mix
- 1 pack pine nuts
- 2-3 tablespoons basil, roughly torn
- 50g feta cheese (optional) *
- 1 Bring a medium pot of salted water to the boil. Prepare ingredients. Preheat BBQ grill or hot plate to medium-high (if using). Prepare sauce ingredients.
- 2 Heat oil in medium pot on medium heat. Cook onion, garlic and mushrooms with a pinch of salt for 4-5 minutes, stirring often, until softened. Add first measure of Italian spice mix and tomato paste and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring often until tomato paste has cooked out.
- 3 Add all remaining mushroom tomato sauce ingredients. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 6-8 minutes, until sauce has thickened. Season and set aside, covered, to keep warm.
- 4 While sauce cooks, cut broccoli into small florets and dice stalk 1cm and peel courgette and carrots into ribbons. Set aside.
- 5 Heat a large, dry fry-pan on medium-high heat. Add pine nuts to pan and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring often, until toasted. Set pine nuts aside and keep pan on heat.
- 6 Heat oil in fry-pan. Pat pork dry, rub with second measure of Italian spice mix and season well. Cook for about 3 minutes each side (depending on thickness), or until just cooked through. Alternatively, cook on BBQ. Set aside to rest, covered, for 3-4 minutes before slicing thickly against the grain. Pour any resting juices into mushroom tomato sauce.
- 7 Cook broccoli in pot of boiling water for about 2 minutes, until just tender. Add courgette and carrots, stir, and immediately drain well. Toss with a drizzle of oil and season.
- 8 To serve, share veggies between bowls. Top with Italian pork, spoon over mushroom tomato sauce. Sprinkle with pine nuts and basil leaves. Crumble over feta cheese (if using).
- SERVES 4
- Energy: 1523 kj / 364 kcal
- Protein: 40.8g
- Carbohydrate: 14.2g
- Fat: 15.4g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe