Chicken Schnitzel with smashed broccoli and caper crème
If the chicken is taking a while to cook, transfer it to the oven beside the vegetables for about 5 minutes to finish cooking.
Fresh Start Lite 20
This dish most recently appeared in Fresh Start Lite 20 on Sunday, April 15, 2018.
ROAST VEGETABLE SALAD
- 1 brown onion, diced 2cm
- 400g peeled pumpkin, diced 2cm
- 1 beetroot, diced 2cm
- ¾ teaspoon oil
- ½ bag baby spinach *
ROAST VEGETABLE DRESSING
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons mustard
- ¾ teaspoon honey *
- 550g lean chicken breast steaks
- 1 egg
- 70g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1½ teaspoons oil
- 1 broccoli
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves *
- 1 cup frozen peas *
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3-4 tablespoons caper crème
- 1 Preheat oven to 220ºC. Bring a medium pot of salted water to the boil. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Prepare ingredients.
- 2 Toss onion, pumpkin, beetroot and oil on prepared tray and season. Roast for 22-25 minutes until tender and lightly caramelised. In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. Once vegetables are cooked, toss with dressing and spinach on tray and season.
- 3 While vegetables roast, pat chicken dry and season. Whisk egg in a bowl, add chicken and turn to coat. Shake off excess egg and place on a plate. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over both sides of chicken and press down to stick.
- 4 Heat half the oil in a large (preferably nonstick) fry-pan on medium heat. Cook chicken, in two batches, for about 2-3 minutes each side (depending on thickness), or until cooked through. Wipe pan out between batches and use remaining oil for second batch. Set aside to rest before seasoning and slicing thickly.
- 5 Cut broccoli into small florets and dice stalk 1cm and thinly slice mint. Cook broccoli in pot of boiling water for about 3 minutes, then add peas and continue to cook about 4 minutes, until bright green and broccoli is tender. Drain well making sure to shake off any excess water to make vegetables as dry as possible.
- 6 Return broccoli and peas to pot. Add mint and salt and roughly smash. Season.
- 7 To serve, share roast vegetable salad between plates and top with chicken schnitzel. Dollop over caper crème and spoon smashed broccoli on side.
- SERVES 4
- Energy: 1868 kj / 446 kcal
- Protein: 40.8g
- Carbohydrate: 21.0g
- Fat: 20.6g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe