Mexican Chicken Bowl with Tomato Salsa
Prep the salad veggies and arrange the ingredients into bowls before you cook the chicken. This way, everything is organised and you have a clean space to work with.
Fresh Start Lite 20
This dish most recently appeared in Fresh Start Lite 20 on Sunday, May 6, 2018.
- ½ punnet baby capsicums *
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes
- ½ telegraph cucumber *
- ½ bag baby spinach *
- 70g Mexican dressing
- 2 Tbsp coriander, finely chopped *
- Zest and juice of ½ lime
MEXICAN CHICKEN BOWL
- 400g chickpeas
- ¼-½ red onion *
- 550g lean chicken breast
- 1½ tsp oil
- 1 pack Mexican chicken spice
- 2 Tbsp lite sour cream
- 100g tomato salsa
- Remaining lite sour cream
- ½ lime, cut into wedges
- 1 Thinly slice capsicums; cut tomatoes in half; cut cucumber in half lengthways and thinly slice. Set all aside separately (or see tip).
- 2 In a small bowl, mix together Mexican dressing, coriander and lime.
- 3 Place spinach in a medium bowl, add two tablespoons of the Mexican dressing and toss to coat. Reserve remaining dressing.
- 4 Drain chickpeas, rinse and leave to drain well; thinly slice onion; pat chicken dry, slice into 1-2cm strips and season.
- 5 Heat oil in a large fry-pan on high heat until very hot. Add chicken to pan and cook for about 2 minutes each side, until almost cooked through.
- 6 Reduce heat to medium, add Mexican chicken spice, chickpeas and onion. Continue to cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring, until chicken is cooked through. Add remaining Mexican dressing to pan and toss to coat.
- 7 Remove pan from heat and add first measure of sour cream. Toss to coat and season to taste.
- 8 To serve, arrange salad ingredients into bowls. Top with Mexican chicken and dollop over tomato salsa and remaining sour cream. Serve with a lime wedge to squeeze over.
- SERVES 4
- Energy: 1796 kj / 429 kcal
- Protein: 39.0g
- Carbohydrate: 23.5g
- Fat: 19.1g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe