Braised Chicken 'Pot Au Feu' with Thyme and Mushrooms
Fresh Start Lite 20
This dish most recently appeared in Fresh Start Lite 20 on Sunday, May 20, 2018.
- 3 tsp oil
- 550g lean chicken thighs
- 1 Tbsp braised chicken dusting
- 1 brown onion
- 1 punnet white button mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 Tbsp thyme leaves
- 1 carrot
- 1 parsnip
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 can brown lentils
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 1 broccoli
- ½ lemon
- ½ bag rocket *
- 1 Heat oil in a large fry-pan (with a lid) on high heat. Pat chicken dry and dust in braised chicken dusting. Cook for 2-3 minutes each side, until golden (but not cooked through). Remove from pan and set aside. Return pan to high heat.
- 2 While chicken cooks, prepare vegetables. Finely dice onion; slice mushrooms; finely chop garlic and thyme; dice carrot and parsnip 1cm.
- 3 Add onion, mushrooms, garlic and salt to pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring often, until vegetables have softened and lightly caramelised. Drain and rinse lentils.
- 4 . Return chicken to pan (along with any resting juices), along with thyme, carrot, parsnip, lentils, stock and lemon zest. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to medium and cover with a lid. Cook for 10- 12 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
- 5 Dice broccoli florets and stalk 1cm. Add broccoli, cover and cook for 1-2 minutes, until bright green and tender. Remove lid and use two forks to shred chicken into small pieces. Season to taste.
- 6 Cut lemon into wedges.
- 7 To serve, spoon braised chicken ‘pot au feu’ into bowls. Top with a handful of rocket and squeeze over lemon wedges.
- SERVES 4
- Energy: 1434 kj / 343 kcal
- Protein: 38.1g
- Carbohydrate: 20.7g
- Fat: 10.3g
- Pantry staple
- * Shared ingredient with another recipe